So it's been a while since I posted anything of substance, so I figures... Why start now? Joking :)
I'm still mulling over the church membership thing and have 3 different books I am reading on the topic. Speaking of reading I am still on my journey (yes it qualifies as a journey, I've been reading it for 8 months!) to finish 'East of Eden' by Steinbeck. Last night I came upon a concept of the beauty of truth and how even a very ugly truth (truth in a situation, no matter haw ugly the situation) can hold beauty. And later after doing a little thinking I think that sometimes it may not be the act of the truth that is beautiful, but the truth itself. An example:
In the book a man has 2 sons. After having the children his wife runs off and becomes a prostitute. The man then tells his son that their mother is dead and can't visit her grave since she was buried so far away. All the while he knows the truth and is using this lie to protect his sons of ages 10ish. Well the wise servant makes a comment to the man that alludes to this beauty in truth and that the kids should know the truth or at least a half truth, lest when the kids find out the lie that all the truths told by their father would then be tainted in some way. This is something I have not thought too much about, but it sparked my thoughts. What if I was one of the sons in that situation, how would I react? The half truth I could understand later in life as protecting my little world at 10, but an all out lie would be tough to swallow without somehow harming trust or tainting all other truth told by an individual...
I'll keep thinking :) Have a GREAT Thursday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
thought provoking post. don't really get the "taxes and counting" part of the title, but maybe that was just a half truth. or was it an all out lie? i'm not sure if i can trust your titles anymore.
hi joey :) good to see you're blogging again -- welcome back -- we need to have ice cream soon (mine turn to buy!)
Anon, HA! Yeah the original post was twice as long, including my blabbing about Taxes and counting something or other. I removed it because the post was too long and forgot to change the title! Believe me?
anon = pete ... somehow i guess i wasn't signed in when i commented. i think you have lost my trust now though. :)
Ok Pete, fess up, you also have a secret crush on Rex. Hmmm, I do believe J and I are developing quite a picture of you in our head. It will be interesting to finally meet you.
doesn't everyone have a secret crush on rex/joey?
i definitely DON'T have a secret crush on rexy. it's not a secret at all ...
Post a Comment